Head of Office, Liberia
Africa – Monrovia
We are looking for a Head of Office responsible for the operations and programmes in Liberia.
Kvinna till Kvinna is a non-profit organisation that has been working since 1993 to support women’s organisations in conflict-affected areas. Today, we are about 110 employees divided into 14 offices. We support about 100 organisations in the Western Balkans, in Africa, South Caucasus, Middle East and Ukraine.
As Head of Office you are responsible to develop and ensure the implementation of programmes in accordance with Kvinna till Kvinna’s mandate, policies, delegation of authority, working methods, operational plan, budget and agreements with donors and partner organisations.
You hold managerial, administrative, security and financial responsibility, including for the management of the overall country budget. As Head of Office you are responsible to manage and motivate the staff in the office in Monrovia.
Additionally, you are Kvinna till Kvinna’s official representative in the country. This also entails networking and maintaining relationships with relevant international and national stakeholders, including donors and developing and maintaining partnerships, first and foremost with women’s rights organisations.
This assignment requires several international trips per year including to attend management meetings.
The Head of Office belongs organizationally to the Programme Department and reports to the Regional Manager Africa.
- Minimum eight years of relevant work experience of which at least two in a managerial position with responsibility of at least 3-6 staff and a medium-size budget;
- Academic degree in a relevant field such as political science, gender studies, international relations, development studies, peace- and conflict studies, human rights or law;
- Solid experience of cooperation work in a complex, conflict affected contexts, preferably from Africa;
- Demonstrated knowledge in one or more of the following thematic areas: promotion of gender equality/respect for women’s rights; peacebuilding/conflict resolution; women’s empowerment; gender-based violence prevention; and/or support to women’s human rights defenders;
- Experience from working in partnership with local women organisations or local civil society actors preferably including capacity building aspects.
- Experience in programme and project management, including strong monitoring and evaluation skills and knowledge in results based management and quality assurance;
- Experience of methods development and capacity-building;
- Experience as responsible for the safety of an organisation and its staff;
- Experience of budgeting and budget follow-up; including performing or overseeing administrative and finance-related tasks
- Experience in fundraising;
- Fluency in English;
- Solid computer skills;
- A valid driver’s license.
- Collaborative, team-oriented leader with the ability to motivate others;
- Strategic, goal-oriented with the ability to prioritise and delegate;
- Responsible, flexible and adaptable;
- Strong communication-, conflict sensitivity- and cultural sensitivity skills
- Engaged and interested in women’s rights;
- Ability to handle stressful situations and peaks of intense workload, while keeping a healthy work/life balance;
- Interest in/and experience of methods development;
- Knowledge of International Human Rights Law and/or International Humanitarian law
- Knowledge of and experience from working with EU-funding;
- Experience of handling corruption cases in complex contexts;
- Familiarity with the Liberian gender/women’s rights environment;
- Fluency in Swedish;
- Familiarity with Kvinna till Kvinna’s mandate and working methods.
Terms and conditions of employment
The position as Head of Office is a two years fixed-term contract (international development cooperation work), full-time with the possibility for an extension (up to five years). Start of employment Nov 2018. The Head of Office is stationed in the Monrovia, Liberia and is expected to conduct 2 – 3 trips per year to Europe and Africa.
Kvinna till Kvinna has Collective agreement (Tjänstemän Idea med Unionen och Akademikerförbunden). Goal-oriented work hours apply to this position.
Please also note that due to the nature of the work only women, legal and/or self-identified, applicants will be considered. Otherwise we strive for diversity.
Applications are reviewed ongoing. Last day of application is 19 August 2018.
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact Malin Brenk, Regional Manager Africa, firstname.lastname@example.org (until 13 July & from 20 August).
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact Acting Head of HR Mirjam Warne, email@example.com.
Representatives for the local unions: Monica Erwér, Akademikerförbunden, firstname.lastname@example.org+46 737 453 867 and Johanna Arkåsen, Unionen, email@example.com.