Kvinna till Kvinna is looking for a EU Advocacy Advisor to join the Kvinna till Kvinna’ s new office in Brussels. We are looking for a passionate women’s rights advocate who will help us further support women’s rights.
Deadline for applying: October 5th 2021
The Kvinna till Kvinna Foundation has defended women’s rights since 1993. For every woman’s right to be safe and to be heard. Today we are one of the world’s leading women’s rights organisations, working directly in areas affected by war and conflict to strengthen women’s influence and power. We work closely together with over 150 local partner organisations across 20 countries to end violence against women, reach lasting peace and close the gender gap.
About the job
With the increased scope of work towards the EU, both in regard to advocacy and fundraising, Kvinna till Kvinna plans to open an office in Brussels. We have done advocacy in Brussels for several years already, but without having a permanent presence there. Given the fact that both policy-making and funding opportunities are increasingly linked to processes in Brussels, Kvinna till Kvinna deems that a permanent presence is necessary.
The advocacy advisor will be based in our new office in Brussels, belonging to the advocacy unit and report to the Deputy Head of Communication based out of Stockholm.
Key tasks and responsibilities
The advocacy advisor will represent Kvinna till Kvinna in Brussels and be responsible for leading the development of Kvinna till Kvinna’ s advocacy towards relevant EU-institutions , including development of EU Advocacy Strategies compliant with Kvinna till Kvinna’ s mandate, policies and working method. The advisor will be key in providing practical assistance to Kvinna till Kvinna and partner organisations in Brussels and is responsible for the following key tasks:
Lead on the organisation’s engagement with the EU on thematic areas such as EU-enlargement, Women, Peace and Security, shrinking space and human security, as well as on specific geographical areas.
- Develop advocacy and policy papers on specific issues / regions as part of the implementation of the Advocacy Strategies and Plans.
- Contribute to supporting partner organisations in developing strategic EU advocacy, including development of strategies, recommendations, policy input, monitoring and networking in coordination by the Programme and Method Department.
- Contribute to networking and building communication channels for Kvinna till Kvinna.
- Develop and maintain a wide range of strategic contacts at policy and practitioner level.
- Represent Kvinna till Kvinna in relevant NGO networks on gender, and Women, Peace and Security supporting the direction, influence and effectiveness of their work.
- Develop trainings on advocacy towards the EU for Kvinna till Kvinna staff and Partner Organisations.
- Support Partner Organisations in preparation for specific meetings with EU officials.
- Lead on the development of advocacy material / content targeting EU policymakers.
- Support communications department in developing op-eds targeting Brussels based media.
- Support Grant Managers in fundraising towards the EU and map relevant EU Calls.
We are looking for someone with strong advocacy and communication skills. You have extensive knowledge and understanding of EU policies relevant for an actor like Kvinna till Kvinna. You are motivated by building networks and good professional relationships, and we believe you are independent and proactive in your way of working.
- Five years work life experience, out of which a minimum of three years from relevant work experience in advocacy
- Academic degree in a relevant field, such as gender studies, conflict resolution development, international relations, human rights.
- Understanding of the functional and strategic considerations facing an international NGO working in conflict-affected environments.
- Experience in developing and implementing advocacy strategies vis à vis the EU.
- Experience of policy formulation, advice and successful advocacy in the areas of gender, conflict, and/or women’s rights
- Excellent communication skills (excellent English, good level of French) and ability to adapt to different audiences
- Experience in identifying fundraising opportunities
- Experience in training, facilitation, and public presentations
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders
- Knowledge in Arabic, Russian and/or Swedish.
Terms & conditions and what we offer
This is a national position is based in Brussels under Belgian labor legislation open for candidates with valid work and residence permit in Belgium.
It is a full-time position starting with a probationary period of 6 months. Start date as soon as possible. Travel may occur. Goal-oriented working hours applies.
At Kvinna till Kvinna you will be a part of a workplace with dedicated employees and contribute to the work for women’s rights in more than 20 war- and conflict-affected countries Today we are over 130 professional, committed and responsible colleagues across four regions with a broad set of experiences and expertise.
Send your application no later than October 5th 2021 by clicking the apply button.
Write the application in English and please note that we only accept applications through our career site.
The application shall include a letter of motivation and a CV. We will handle all applications post deadline for submission.
If you have any questions regarding this position please contact Deputy Head of Communication, Lina Säll: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on the recruitment process, please contact HR: email@example.com